Zhvanets is a small village on the border of Khmelnytskyi and Chernivtsi regions. Zvanets was mentioned in the history books for the first time in 1431, when Polish king Vladislav Jagiello presented the land to the knight Svichka from Lechina. Citizens began to settle near the banks of the two rivers, - Dnister and Zhvanchik.
The castle was built on the banks of river Zhvanchik. It is well known that the first stone fortifications appeared here around the end of the 14th and the beginning of the 15th century. Later during the 16th century on Governor Kalinowskyi’s order, the castle was given a pentagonal shape to it. A century later the tower walls were strengthened with the help of ramparts and the towers themselves were turned into bastions.
During this time the city became one of the major trade centers of Transnistria. In 1621, during the First Khotyn War, the castle was completely destroyed by the Turks and the Tatars. Around 1699 the fortress finally lost its strategic military importance.
At the beginning of the 18th century, Stanislav Lianskoronskyi decided to restore the castle and move his residence there.