Skala-Podilska is a town that is located on the banks of the river Zbruczin Ternopilska region (oblast), Borshchivskyi district (raion) within 40 kilometers from Kamianets-Podilskyi.
In 1370 Koriatovychi family built a fortified castle in the town. In 1443 Skala became a praepostor center and a royal castle.
Around 1515 the castle became the property of Stanislaw Liantskoronskyi, who significantly broadened and strengthened its premises. Despite the renovations, in the first half of the 16th century the castle gradually started todeteriorate as a result of the repeated Tatar attacks. In the middle of the 16th century the castle was again rebuilt and adopted to use firearms.
In the 17th century, in addition to numerous Tatar assaults, the castle was besieged in numerous occasions in the years 1620, 1648, 1657 and 1672. In 1672, the Turks finally seized the castle, and then onwards the castle went on a steady decline and was left dilapidated for several decades. In the middle of the 18th century the praepostorof Skala-Podilska Adam Tarlo built a Baroque palace on the ruins of the former castle, but it also could not stand for too long. Within a couple of years of the restoration, a major lightning caused fire in the palace. Since then, no one has really bothered to restore the castle anymore.
Nowadays you can see only the fragments of the walls and the single gunpowder tower that remains standing to date.