Khotyn is a town located 25 kilometers away from Kamianets-Podilskyi. Khotyn was first mentioned in the chronicles in 1002. During the time it served as a border check point for Kievan Rus.
Around 1199 the Halych princes took over the possession of the town. From the 14th century the town experienced a continuous change of owners- as various powers gained and lost control of the city. Landmark events of the history occurred in Khotyn. The famous battle of Khotyn in 1621,and the subsequent victory over the Turks in 1673.
Around September-October of 1621, the army of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth that consisted of more than half of Ukrainian Cossacks led by Peter Konashevych Sahaidachnyi came face to face with the troops of the Ottoman Empire near Khotyn. After the five-week battle the European troops emerged victorious over the Turks for the first time in their long history of wars with the Turkish army.
In 1673, Jan Sobieski and the Europeans once again defeated the Turks under the walls of Khotyn. In 1699, following the Peace Treaty of Karlovitz, the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth handed Khotyn to the Principality of Moldavia.
In 1711 Khotyn was once again occupied by the troops of the Ottoman Empire, . Up until 1812, Khotyn remained a territory of the Ottoman Empire and numerous Turkish garrisons were maintained there. However during the long Russo-Turkish War, the Russian army occupied Khotyn in several occasions: in 1739, 1769, 1788 and 1807. Around 1812 the town was handed over to the Russian Empire and became a center of Bessarabia region (later the Bessarabia Governorate).
In 1918, Khotyn was connected to Romania together with the entire area of the former Bessarabia Governorate (as the district town, it became part of the newly formed Bessarabia Province). In the course of the Second World War, on 28 June 1940-after Bessarabia and Northern Bukovina had joined the Soviet Union, Khotyn became the regional center of the Ukrainian SSR. The most remarkable sight one can find in Khotyn is the Khotyn Fortress. The first walls of the Fortress were constructed during the times of the Kievan Rus (the X–XI centuries). They were later expanded, and in the 15th century the Moldavian Prince Stephen III built a castle there, which stands even today.
In the 18th century on the heights, prevailing around the castle, the Turks built a big bastion fortress, containing seven bastions and four gates.
The Fortress area is 1200 by 250meters. It is one of the largest preserved fortresses of its type in the region.